I’m going to try to write a post at the end of each week of Crossfit as a way to mark my progress throughout this part of my journey.  So here it goes…

If you read my previous post you know that Monday morning was my first day “in the box” as it’s called.  I was so terrified.  Making myself go was quite a struggle but I managed to fight my fears and got my butt to the gym.  A feat in and of itself. It is now five days later, just FIVE days and all I can say is…what a difference five days makes!

Today is Friday, I went to Crossfit three times this week, Monday, Thursday, and Friday.  Tuesday I was feeling a little antsy so I went up to the gym at around 11 to talk to someone about when I should be coming, what I should do on my off days, etc.  I originally planned to do Monday, Wednesday, Friday because that seemed like the most logical choice but the trainer who helped me with my Foundations staff told me I probably didn’t want to come on Wednesdays to start.  He also told me that I shouldn’t get my heart rate up on my off days and while I should have asked more questions when he told me that— I didn’t.  I also couldn’t wrap my brain around going three days a week and not including Wednesdays in that equation.  I have this thing about even and odd numbers and balance and…oh the list goes on…just know that I can be neurotic about random things that are rarely of any importance.  So anyway, it was Tuesday, I was feeling antsy, I wanted to go for a run-ish or a bike ride or something but I didn’t want to elevate my heart rate…blah, blah, blah.

The trainer that I talked to that morning told me she didn’t see why I shouldn’t come on Wednesdays so I left feeling much better, my neurosis was tamed, my week would be balanced.  Phew!

So Wednesday came and guess what?!  I couldn’t go!  I ended up with work project that morning that I couldn’t avoid so it was no Crossfit for me, however I had plans to go to the Whitewater Center with Melinda to do the obstacle course that evening so I didn’t have to worry about getting in a workout but this meant I was going to have to go to Crossfit on Thursday and Friday…oh the imbalance!  It’s making me itch just thinking about it.

You know, as I’m writing this I’m realizing just how ridiculous my “issues” are.  In fact now that I’m really hearing myself I’m beginning to think that my neurosis are merely excuses for me to not do things that I don’t want to do.  This being said, I did go to CF (I’m abbreviating from here on out) on Thursday and I went today and guess what?!  The world did not come to an end. It’s amazing!

So how was I able to make myself go, instead of waiting till next week when I could start over and have a balanced week (which was my urge)?  Well besides the fact that I’ve invested money in it (that’s a good incentive but not always enough- trust me, I’ve wasted more money on gym memberships than ___ insert political joke here) the biggest reason I went was because I WANTED to go!  W.A.N.T.E.D.

Say what?!

Yeah, I know.  It’s insane.  In fact it’s Friday and I’m sad because I have to wait two whole days to go back.  It’s like fricken crack.

On Monday (I’m going to need to start writing this stuff down so I don’t forget) we started with a warm up of soldier toe touches and lunges across the room and back then a 400 meter run.  Then it was pull-ups (WAY modified for me!) back squats and some other stuff I can’t remember and then we ended with 7 minutes of burpees.  Dude!

Yesterday we warmed up with…well crap, I can’t remember but then we did some stretching and dead lifts and some other stuff then finished with 10 minutes of rowing and then 10 minutes of the following as many times as we could in those 10 minutes:  10 hip dips on each side (not fun) 10 Hollow Rocks (kind of like a V-up) and then run 200 meters. I think everyone else had to run 400 meters, I’m good with 2 for now!  Anyway, I managed to do the whole thing twice and then the time was up before I got in my 3rd 200 meters- not bad for a fat girl.

I deadlifted 65lbs 20 times, next week I have to do 75lbs.  I can’t wait!

Today we started with some kind of sit-up things then a run around the outdoor trail, .44 mile, I think?  I actually runnished MOST of it.  Went farther than I’ve ever gone before and only walked for about 10 seconds two times.  It was the COOLEST FEELING EVER!  Then we did pull ups (modified on the rings), some kind of lifting– shoulder press thing?  I think I did 25lbs 10 times, maybe?  I have no idea.  It’s written on my sheet but that’s at the gym so we’re gonna go with with that.  25lbs 10x.  Then it was more of that:  do stuff and run, do stuff and run, do stuff and run, etc for 7 minutes- 10 weighted squats, 10 sit-ups, run 100 meters- I got THREE sets completed in those 7 minutes. My last 100 meters I was actually running.  Like real running and I wasn’t even trying.  In fact I wasn’t even thinking about it and then all of sudden I was like, “what the crap?!  I’m running, like long strides, both feet off the ground at the same time.  holy mother of god!”   I couldn’t believe it.  I was elated!

I cannot WAIT for Monday!  Especially because starting Monday, I get to go FOUR times each week.  FOUR!  Since I’ll be gone for an entire week in October the director is working with me so I can still get in all of my workouts for the month.  Woohoo!

I’m super pleased with how things are going.  So glad I persevered when I was having difficulty getting signed up and I’m thrilled with how awesome the trainers have been.  Even though we got off to a rough start I couldn’t be happier with everything.

Huge shout out to the entire Crossfit Cabarrus Team.  I feel more welcome than I ever thought possible and I’m thrilled to have them as a part of my new fitness adventure!



Featured In

Featured In